Forum Home  »  Piercing  »  Questions & Answers   »  Nipple Piercings
Nipple Piercings

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/23/2014 10:52:15 AM     
Okay, I've been wanting my nipples pierced for a long time, since I was 16 probably. So I had a lot of time to think about it haha seeing as I'm 23. ANYWAYS, I was so close to getting them done last summer, but after scrutinizing my ladies I chickened out because I didn't think I had the right breasts. (Sorry if this is tmi, but they are bigger and I feel like one is slightly lower than the other. YAY LACK OF SYMMETRY) This year I'm saying screw it because, hey, nobody's perfect and I want them!

Now, however, I'm scared of the pain and healing! I've been scouring to find answers, but kept getting mixed ones so I'm just going to post it here once and for all. I've been trying to tell myself that it'll be over quickly (When did I become such a wimp about piercings!?) but I want both done. I'm scared if I just do one at a time I won't go back for the other. So, uh, can any of ya'll tell me your experiences? Male, female, whatever, I don't care. I just want experiences. I know it's going to be painful, I'm expecting that, but I've heard some horror stories about people passing out and blah blah blah.

So, besides experiences, to start would you recommend a hoop or barbell? I've been hearing mixed opinions on both. I've been hearing that hoops are easier to clean, but can get snagged more than barbells.

Last question, bras. Can I just wear a normal bra, especially to the piercing place, or would a sports bra be better? My bra keeps everything in place and so does the sports bra, but I feel like the sports bra will... crush them? haha Because it's obviously a slightly tighter fit. So attire?

FINALLY. I appreciate any and all answers, but I would like just general advice or tips to help me along. Thanks, guys! You're lovely!

Southgate
Posted: 6/23/2014 10:57:40 AM     
I haven't had mine done, but I've heard that it hurts less with larger breats/nipples. Something about the nerve ending being more spread out than smaller breasts.

I would also think wearing a tighter bra would hurt more? I would go for maybe a bralette if you had to wear something? Like those thin cotton bra tops. I just wear them all the time in the summer cause they are comfy and airy. Then again this is coming from someone with no exp with nipple piercings

Chewy (Park Place)
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:04:40 AM     
From my experience with getting both of mine done:

1. Pain: Surprisingly, not very painful at all, compared to some of my other piercings. The weird part was the feeling. I can only describe it as grainy. With most other piercings, the needle and jewellery go with the grain of the skin. With the nipples, this is impossible. I could feel the needle pass through all of the different layers of skin that were all swirled up in my nipple. The best way I can describe it is picture a closed book, now slide a needle in between the pages. That's a normal piercing. Now take a couple layers of corrugated cardboard, and pierce a needle through them. That's a nipple piercing.

2. Bras: Can't speak from experience about a bra, but I found for the first few days to a week, it was best to be either topless, or wear soft, snug, form-fitting shirts. My nipples were so extremely sensitive that they had to be held down snugly by a wife-beater that didn't shift around at all, or be completely exposed. Judging from that, I would recommend a sports bra.

3. Hoop/Barbell: Not quite sure on this one. I was pierced with a barbell due to the angle that I wanted them to sit at, but as soon as it was safe to switch jewellery, I switched to a hoop and found it more comfortable. Only thing I can say for sure is, if you do go with a barbell, do not, DO NOT, use a loufa in the shower. That hurts worse than any piercing I've ever gotten.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Something else to add on: I got mine done on two separate visits due to (TMI Warning here) my girlfriend still wanting one to play with. If not for that I would have gotten them both done at once, just because I'm a wuss and almost didn't go back to get the second one done. Yay for having an irrational fear of needles! :P

Kingsway
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:06:19 AM     
Alright .
I love mine so I'm glad you're getting them done !
Mine were pierced with bananas but I like straight better ( I hate the look of hoops on the nips)
The 2nd one hurt wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worse cause I was waiting for the pain that time haha .
Hands down my most painful piercing but it was over and done with quickly.
I wear padded bras, and they were life savers. You'd be surprised how many times you run your boobs into things haha . So since you do have larger ladies, and padding probably isn't what you're wanting, go with a sports bra to keep them safe lol

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:08:46 AM     
I have mine done, and the second one (my right breast) did hurt a little more than the left. But I feel like that's because all the adrenaline I had for the first one was gone, and I knew what I was expecting. The healing was great. Sure the first day I got them done I didn't want to move at all. Sitting up was a pain. Also I suggest taking baths after you get them done. The feel of a shower on them the second day after I got them done... Didn't feel all that great. haha.

When you are home do not wear a bra what so ever. I was told they heal a lot better when they are aired out. (I'm not too sure if this is true, but it did feel a lot better when I didn't have a bra on.) Cotton bras are the way to be. Push up bras, or any type of lingerie hurt when I wore them. Cotton bras allowed them to breathe a little more.

I also suggest a barbell, but I've never had a hoop in. So I couldn't really tell you the differences between the two.

- Tori

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:11:53 AM     
Bahaha, I'll steer clear from loufas for sure!

How bad is it that I'm also kinda focusing on price? It's about 100 plus tax for a pair with some captive hoops, but 150+ for barbells. Kind of the only studio in town I trust, now that one of the founders has returned. I mean if there's a huge difference in healing, I will pay for the barbells! Not fond of the look of hoops either, at least on myself, but when they're healed enough I will change to barbells.

I heard the second one was worse because of the anticipation and adrenaline fading haha I've never had two piercings in one sitting before, so I'm kind of nervous. I mean, so far, my most painful piercing was my nose (not saying much). And I have my septum, which is actually piercing through cartilage instead of the fleshy bit like some, my lips, had my eyebrow, etc. etc. And they hurt, obviously, but I like to think I have a pretty decent pain tolerance.

Kingsway
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:13:10 AM     
I paid 120 for mine

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:15:57 AM     
That's pretty expensive compared to what I had to pay for both mine being done. (We also get a discount at this piercing shop because we hand out her cards to people.) But originally for both of them (at that place) was 90. I got them done for 70.

- Tori

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:16:29 AM     
120! Not bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally willing to spend the 150 haha I'm also just frugal. But when it comes to piercing quality (which I trust the shop, as I said, now that one of the founders are back again) and piercing healing, I will spring for more without batting an eye. Pretty much everything I've been pierced with has been a hoop and I found cleaning was a lot easier than my nose stud for example. But I'm scared for my little nip nips hahaha

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:21:57 AM     
I feel like I got a good deal on my nips now.. haha

- Tori

Mandy (WEM CULTure)
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:26:25 AM     
I paid about $200 for mine.. but I love them! Was never really fond of my boobs but I like them a lot more now that theyre pierced haha They definitely werent as painful as I was expecting but my adrenaline was super high I was basically having a panic attack before I entered the shop. After they were done they barely hurt at all. They told me I probably wouldnt want to wear a bra but I found it way less painful when I did wear one. Not wearing one was actually super uncomfortable for me idk. Mine were pierced with barbells I feel like that would be the better option. All piercings are done and over with before you know it just gotta say F - it and do it haha atleast that's what I do :b

Caitlyn (Centre)
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:32:52 AM     
I paid $90 for both of mine. I went with barbells because the size of the hoops for women compared to men's were huge! First one didn't hurt nearly as much as the second. Second one I swore and my friend heard me outside of the room >.< Be careful when you take your bra off! Also, I rocked a sports bra for the couple days after which felt very comfortable however you don't realize how much you press things to your chest until you have fresh piercings there. I had a stock day at my job at the time which meant a lot of big heavy boxes. It sucked. First few days I went with sea salt soaks in shot glasses but then I got tired of getting water everywhere and switched to H2Ocean. If they really bothered me I did a sea salt soak still.

Emilia (Metrotown)
Posted: 6/23/2014 11:50:05 AM     
When I got mine done, my piercer decided for me based on my body type what kind of jewelry I was going to get and - to be blunt about it, I have big boobs. 36I over here. If you have larger breasts, hoops may not be a good option for you, but it depends on the "kind" of nipples you have and the size of them. If you have larger nipples, you need a larger diameter hoop and when you have jewelry bigger than it could need to be, it can cause delays in healing. With larger breasts, nipple piercings will take longer to heal already (less blood flow and more movement). Add a big ol' hoop there and it could get snagged more easily. Barbells are the better option.

I got mine done about 4 years ago and I kept them in for about 3.5 years. I had mine done with a 12g 5/8 straight barbells because that was what would work best for me. I took them out in the end because the size of my boobs was putting too much pressure on them and they were starting to migrate out, but we had a good run.

We all want to save a few bucks, don't get me wrong, but it is better to spend a little bit more to get something that works better for you, rather than risk spending more money down the line again to get it fixed or redone. Speaking as someone who got her vertical labret done three times before having my regular piercer finally do it correctly....just do it right the first time.

As for your bra, really anything will work fine, just make sure it is clean and ask your piercer for some gauze in case of extra blood.

Pain...less than a cartilage piercing. It really wasn't so bad. Once they healed I got some pretty forward facing white opals from Industrial Strength. So pretty!!

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/23/2014 12:05:43 PM     
Hm, when I go in to get the done, I'll just be ready with the $150 and ask my piercer's opinion then! I didn't really take into consideration less blood flow and size. I definitely want to get what will be the best the first time around, so if my piercer thinks barbells are the better way to go, I'll for sure go with them. Thanks for the tips!

Kingsway
Posted: 6/23/2014 12:09:23 PM     
Tips 4 Nips

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 6/23/2014 12:13:16 PM     
For me the pain was terrible hands down one of my worst pain wise so far. Both in one sitting I'd say that way if it is bad you won't chicken out on the second. They ached for the first 3 days but after that really not painful.
They used straight bars and I found these to be quite alright. I like cotton bras because I find they breathe better and don't get cranky nearly so often and are healing faster.

I second what Emilia said for the cost thing. Lot of piercers will also have sales on piercings too so sign up to their social media. This is what I've done with my peircer! I got both for $70! They would regularly have cost $100 for both.

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 6/23/2014 12:13:28 PM     
For me the pain was terrible hands down one of my worst pain wise so far. Both in one sitting I'd say that way if it is bad you won't chicken out on the second. They ached for the first 3 days but after that really not painful.
They used straight bars and I found these to be quite alright. I like cotton bras because I find they breathe better and don't get cranky nearly so often and are healing faster.

I second what Emilia said for the cost thing. Lot of piercers will also have sales on piercings too so sign up to their social media. This is what I've done with my piercer! I got both for $70! They would regularly have cost $100 for both.

CULTure (Woodgrove)
Posted: 6/23/2014 2:32:11 PM     
Do you know what kind of jewelry they are using? I would never get pierced with anything but implant grade. It would really suck getting externally threaded jewelry to go through a fresh nipple piercing. I pierce with barbells to get more of a accurate positioning. I don't use captive bead ring so I can avoid any weird migration.

Ryan

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/23/2014 2:38:33 PM     
I know for sure that the barbells are internally threaded, thank god. Do not want the threads tearing through it haha If barbells can help with accurate positions and the like, I'm definitely leaning more towards them. Thanks!

CULTure (Woodgrove)
Posted: 6/23/2014 2:40:31 PM     
Cool

Caitlyn (Centre)
Posted: 6/23/2014 3:40:57 PM     
I was trying to change the beads on my barbells one time and accidentally pulled the bar out... External threads going through your nip soooo does not feel good.

Logan (MetroTown)
Posted: 6/23/2014 4:41:23 PM     
When I got mine done the first one wasn't bad a bit of a shock but not bad. The second one still wasn't terrible but I knew what was coming so it was a little tender. After it was done though it didn't hurt much unless they got bumped. (I suggest wearing loosely wearing some gauze and medi tape pasties not too tight though!) I was told that it hurts more for guys to get theirs done since there's more nerve endings since guys don't have to deal with stuff like breast feeding. All in all I love mine I just have simple little 14G black TC barbells since they don't snag on much except when I wear a fishnet top and t-shirt. (Be careful since they're small enough to slip through the holes.)

Oh and when I come to visit Kamloops later this summer I'll come say hi!

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/23/2014 4:53:56 PM     
The pasties and gauze are a smart idea!

AND YOU BETTER. I miss your face.

Logan (MetroTown)
Posted: 6/23/2014 5:01:26 PM     
First few days they're a bit shirt tender so the pasties are a dream for abrasion.

The Nipple pasties of +4 abrasion resistance!

I've been playing to much Darksouls...

Serenity (WEM)
Posted: 6/23/2014 6:39:51 PM     
I want to get mine done so bad. My roomie and i are planning on getting them done together. The only thing im really scared of is what they're going to look like after i take them out one day ! I feel like theyre going to be warped or something!! Will they?!

Riiii [Southgate]
Posted: 6/23/2014 7:00:15 PM     
I'm getting mine done in August as a birthday present to myself. I'm super excited to put pretty things in them.

@Alyshia I totally feel you on thinking you didn't have the right kind of breasts for them. I felt the same way for a very long time because I thought they were more for smaller, perky breasted women. (TMI: I'm also fairly lopsided so you're not alone with those thoughts either) But I think everyone deserves sparkly nips!

Caitlyn (Centre)
Posted: 6/24/2014 8:47:55 AM     
It took me two years to work up the courage to get mine done because I've always hated my boobs. Now, I kinda love em :)

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/24/2014 9:45:01 AM     
Serenity, all the ones I've seen have pretty much just turned back to "normal." I could be wrong though, I'm no expert and I'm sure there's scarring and stuff, but definitely yet to see a warped looking one! c:

Ya'll make me feel so much more confident about my tatas as well as getting the piercings! ;o; Thanks, guys! <333

Kingsway
Posted: 6/24/2014 10:04:27 AM     
Someone i used to work with just had one done and when she took it out she said her one nipple looked slightly different from the other from the scar tissue

KrystalKlos
Posted: 6/24/2014 11:19:53 AM     
I'm not gonna bother reading all of the responses right now, so this might have already been said, but you should all probably only trust piercing info from me on here, anyway.

The pain is different for everyone, but they will most likely be among your most painful piercings. That being said, it's still only a piercing, that takes a fraction of a second and passes through very little tissue. If you get them done freehand, they will hurt less. Instinct in Kamloops seems pretty trustworthy to me, in regards to jewelry. If you've never passed out before, you probably won't. People don't pass out from the pain of piercings. They just pass out because they pass out. It's a brain thing.

Barbells are better for healing. Rings can migrate a LOT. Barbells are also a straight piece of jewelry going through a straight channel, and will therefore heal better. There's also less surface area sticking out to get knocked around, with a barbell.

You can wear whatever bra you like, as long as it's clean and feels comfortable. If it hurts, you've got a problem.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 6/24/2014 11:37:40 AM     
Definitely going to Instincts and I'm definitely getting the barbells now. I had no idea that rings actually had that much potential to migrate, but it makes sense!

Thanks, Krystal!

Bay Centre
Posted: 6/24/2014 12:50:25 PM     
"They just pass out because they pass out." so much yes (remember when that hungover guy passed out into the sink and then you caught him and I thought I should call an ambulance? lols good times)

Krystal has all the wisdom!!

-Lauren

KrystalKlos
Posted: 6/24/2014 4:15:58 PM     
Hahaha. Yep. Good times.

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 7/10/2014 9:55:38 AM     
YAY. I got them done. It was incredibly painful but so worth it. Haha thanks for all the advice!!

Courtney
Posted: 7/10/2014 9:56:52 AM     
NOW YOU JUST NEED SPARKLY PRINCESS NIPS

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 7/10/2014 10:05:30 AM     
I'm making mine sparkly princess nips today!!! ....maybe.... I'm kinda scared to get my piercer to change them.... way too much pain getting them pierced... I think I might just put some septum clickers in them instead of the tiffany beads like I was planning.

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 7/13/2014 11:46:08 AM     
Ever since I've started working at Culture Craze I've been eyeing up the tiffany beads for my nips. I AM EXCITED. I'm curious if clickers would work for mine! That'd be so pretty.

Mac&Maci
Posted: 2/3/2018 9:45:54 AM     
Studies have shown that another way of healing irritated or sore nipples is, believe it or not, saliva. Thats right, saliva holds many forms of numbing bacteria, that of course are not harmful to humans. So ladies if your nipples are sore just have your man pleasure them. Now that doesn't mean anything rough. In that case the opposite effect would occur. I've been a nurse for 12 years and even I allow my spouse to help. It helped especially after I had them pierced. Give it a try yourself!

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.