Forum Home  »  Piercing  »  Questions & Answers   »  Nipples
Nipples

Sunridge Cart
Posted: 3/30/2015 6:47:42 PM     
Does anyone have any aftercare tips for nipples? The piercer told me that soap is better for body piercings but I used that the other day and it stung a bit. I usually heal pretty well with just doing sea salt and water but these are my first piercings that are below my neck so I just want to make sure that I'm taking proper care of them

-Alysa

Tori(Cornwall)
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:05:54 AM     
I used unscented soap when it came to gently washing them. The aftercare I used was our Healing Ocean (White bottle) spray, and they healed up just fine.

You could even to the sea salt and warm water, but you would need shot glasses. Haha. (It looks rather funny.)

Kaitlyn (Park Place)
Posted: 3/31/2015 10:19:55 AM     
I soaked them in a shot glass twice with H2Ocean when they were first pierced, but thought it was too much of a hassle so I just cleaned them like any other piercing using H20cean till they were healed. Now, about twice a week I try to give it them a good cleaning with H20cean. I also used/still use a mild soap while in the shower.

CC_Metrotown
Posted: 3/31/2015 11:24:25 AM     
sea salt and ti bar were what worked for me!
unscented soap in the shower and a clean bra when I got out!!

CULTure (Woodgrove)
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:05:15 PM     
You don't wanna do soaks or soap, unless it's a really gentle, unscented, natural soap - like Dr.Bronner's baby formula mixed 10:1 with water.

Just spray them with saline or H2Ocean once a day and rinse it off after. Also, don't touch them or move them, and make sure anything that does, is clean. And just judging from your piercer's advice, I'd assume that your jewelry is externally threaded. Nipples can be quite difficult to heal, and although you may be able to heal with lower quality jewelry, it will be much safer to get it switched out to some american-made, implant grade, high polish, internally threaded jewelry.

-Krystal

Velvet Rivers
Posted: 10/30/2017 12:31:00 PM     
Has anyone ever tried using the clicker rings?? I'm not a fan of the capture rings because I find them difficult as hell.

St. Vital (Winnipeg)
Posted: 10/30/2017 2:24:08 PM     
All of our locations stock clicker styles! They are so fun and pretty!
While I personally don't have the piercing anymore to let you know how they feel, I can say the key to any jewellery is making sure the size (both gauge and length) are right for you, and put them into healed (not new) piercings!

- Nina

marissap98
Posted: 11/27/2017 8:30:08 PM     
Hey guys! i’ve been having a little bit of trouble with my right nipple piercing. i got my nipples pierced about 3-4 weeks ago. they were pretty swollen but they’ve calmed down. my right nipple ended up swelling up more and the barbell i got pierced with was literally getting swallowed by my skin. i went back to my pierced and he put a longer barbell in. everything was good, but now the left side of my right boob, the barbell, is starting to get swallowed again by my skin. i was going to go to a different piercer and see what they recommend because the guy i went too just made me feel like i was OCD about what was going on. rather be safe than sorry!!! if anyone knows what’s going on or has any tips on what to do that would be great. my body has never rejected a piercing before either i’m usually good at healing so i don’t know what’s going on!! ??

-Marissa

Kat (Aberdeen)
Posted: 11/28/2017 8:37:13 AM     
They take a long time 6-9 months to heal. They're still babies. Make sure You have implant grade jewelry for healing, and not externally threaded.
LITHA is the best for times like this, just forget about them but keep them clean :)

Nina
Posted: 11/28/2017 10:02:13 AM     
As you can see from all the responses on this thread, different things work for different people, and it might take time for you to figure out exactly what works for you, for that piercing.

One method, that Kat is referring to, LITHA, loosely translates into letting your body do its' thang. Sometimes over cleaning or fiddling with it can make irritations much worse.

Getting a second opinion from another piercer is never a bad idea. And yes, give it time.

Something that CCMetrotown noted in 2012 is very important: a clean bra! Now yes, our bras are designed to hold up to many consecutive wears without washing, but if you've got a fresh piercing, old bacteria can cling to the fabric and make it much more difficult for your body to heal.

One last note: are you familiar with the APP/Association of Professional Piercers? If not, definitely something to look up! And if you aren't already going to an APP-Certified piercer, see if there's one in your town for that second opinion you mentioned!

marissap98
Posted: 11/28/2017 12:27:41 PM     
Okay! i just wanted to make sure what was happening was normal. because some days they’re okay some days they just get irritated! i was my bras like 3 times a week and i have 4 i rotate through! so i’m wearing a clean one. thanks for calming my nerves guys! :) i’m just gonna continue cleaning them and just let them do their thing! one more question, i wash them 3-4 times a day. is that too much? i shower in the mornings so i was them then, then once i get home from class and before bed, sometimes in between dinner and bed. since i’m also cleaning them more than i’ve ever cleaned my nipples before, they’re super dry and itchy. any recommendations on how to fix that? thank you in afavance, again!

May Fair Ladies
Posted: 11/28/2017 12:31:57 PM     
What are you using to clean them @marissap98?

WEM Kiosk
Posted: 11/28/2017 12:35:44 PM     
I'd definitely say you're over-washing them! Especially if they're getting dry and irritated! When I got mine done, I washed them MAX twice a day (morning and night) - and it was more of a gentle soak in warm salt water. As for getting rid of the dryness, you could use a little bit of coconut oil (avoiding the piercing itself to not clog pores), or a natural mild body lotion! I have a bit of eczema, and sometimes my nipple piercings get dried out and irritated because of that --- I use Skins Shangrila from LUSH Cosmetics (and a little goes a long way!!!)
Hope this helps! <3

-Jess

Nina
Posted: 11/28/2017 12:52:33 PM     
OOOHHHH! One more thing!!! Where you are in your cycle can affect things. So if you're ovulating or PMS-ing and have a subsequent hormone spike/drop, that can wreak havoc on any piercing, especially a new one. Same if you're fighting off a cold or flu or bug. Just something to keep in mind.

marissap98
Posted: 11/28/2017 2:46:42 PM     
I'm using just plain antibacterial soup. My piercer said not to do salt water soaks. and okay! I'm just gonna wash them in the shower and at night, so it's twice max. I'm also going to the mall near my house Friday, and they have a LUSH, so I'm going to grab the Skins Shangrila!! Works out perfectly. Thanks so much Jess! And Nina, that makes perfect sense! I just got over having my period, and I was sick for the past week. Makes so much sense. Thank you guys for all your help!! you're the best

marissap98
Posted: 11/28/2017 4:00:59 PM     
I'm using just plain antibacterial soup. My piercer said not to do salt water soaks. and okay! I'm just gonna wash them in the shower and at night, so it's twice max. I'm also going to the mall near my house Friday, and they have a LUSH, so I'm going to grab the Skins Shangrila!! Works out perfectly. Thanks so much Jess! And Nina, that makes perfect sense! I just got over having my period, and I was sick for the past week. Makes so much sense. Thank you guys for all your help!! you're the best

marissap98
Posted: 11/28/2017 5:36:58 PM     
Sorry guys I'm real annoying with this, but I just changed my bra (since I'm doing wash) and I looked down at the right nipple piercing and the left ball on the barbell was like 3/4 of the way swallowed by my skin. It's hurting!!! That's the one with the longer barbell in it. I'm freaking out!
P.S. sorry guys I'm so annoying with all of this, you're the only people that have actually helped me!

Kenny (The Centre)
Posted: 11/28/2017 6:11:46 PM     
What I would say to do is try applying a cold compress onto the nipple so the swelling goes down and with clean hands just push from the other side to get the ball dislodged from in your skin. I also found that with my nipple piercings, the hotter the shower I took the more irratated my nips got (the heat made them swell). Until the nip is less angry I would only use warm water and a q-tip to get the crusties off and just leave it alone. At least thats what i did when i had a similar issue. Best of luck!

-Kenny <3

Nina
Posted: 11/30/2017 10:49:58 AM     
marissa we are all so happy to help!
many forum users are culture craze staff at one of our 15 locations, so it's such a nice treat when we get to interact with someone NEW!!! And especially someone who values our expertise so much! good vibes in all directions!

Time for a second opinion for that nipple... I looked at your profile and i'm not sure where schwensville is? so i'm not sure where to suggest.... but still, get a second opinion. Sounds like you've got cleaning covered, but this piercings itself is certainly putting you through the gears!

Southgate
Posted: 11/30/2017 11:32:24 AM     
Hey love! any time at all <3 Like Nina mentioned, we adore speaking with new folks on he forums, and lending our knowledge and have such pleasant interactions is so nice!!!

Skins Shangrila has done wonders for my mega dry skin - so I hope it works for you, too!
I absolutely agree with Kenny about the cold compress advice, also definitely get your piercer to have another look at it to figure out why it keeps swelling so much! That's probably so painful! :(

I hope you get it all sorted and healed up soon! <3

- Jess

P.S You're not annoying at all! You deserve to have your questions and concerns answered!

marissap98
Posted: 11/30/2017 12:12:51 PM     
Nina, i’m in pennsylvania, near philadelphia! i’m gonna get that cream tomorrow, and i’ve only been washing them 2 times a day! so i’m not over washing. the one on the right is pretty much swelled completely over the ball :( it doesn’t hurt when i’m just sitting down, but when i accident hit it, or when i try to clean it it hurts to disconnect the skin! :( i’m so in love with my piercing, i don’t wanna risk having to lose it! if anyone could help me research a good piercer; I’m in Schwensville PA, my zip code is 19473. i just don’t want to go back to my piercer because he made me feel wrong for asking all these questions & being worried about my piercing. it’s my boob dude!! it’s kinda important. not trying to be weird but i wish i could just post a picture to show you what the hell is going on!! (obviously i’m not going too!) i just want to get this figured out so my piercing can heal properly.

Southgate
Posted: 11/30/2017 12:30:17 PM     
Sounds to me like you definitely need a new piercer! I'll see what I can find online...

When you go in always make sure you feel comfortable with them and with asking questions! It's your body, and you are ABSOLUTELY entitled to information.

Also, make sure you ask what type of metal they're using to pierce AND what type of metal the jewellery is. Inquiring about internally threaded and externally threaded is also important.

-Jess

Southgate
Posted: 11/30/2017 12:40:49 PM     
I'm obviously not sure where you went for your piercings, BUT I found these sites - hopefully they're useful?

www.studio29tattoo.com
www.libertytattoopa.com

ALSO - I follow this incredible lady on social media! Her handle is qcknd and she's a tattoo collector and has previously had a bunch of piercings! She lives in Philly - and it's possible she has some rad recommendations!

-Jess

marissap98
Posted: 11/30/2017 3:27:21 PM     
thank you so much jess!! i’m gonna stop by a piercer, a new one, hopefully sunday, because of work and class! thanks so much!! omg imma check the links out and go from there! just want my poor piercings to be better! somethings going on and it’s defiantly not right!

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 12/1/2017 2:59:39 PM     
@Marissa & @Jess Coconut oil isn't an ideal moisturizer. Its too heavy for a healing piercing & I would avoid anything manufactured because as natural as it may be, there's extra preservatives. Theres nothing in it to help heal, just moisturize.
Grape seed oil & 100% honey are the two cheapest, healthiest options for a piercing.
Bio oil isn't terrible, emu oil is decent but animal derived, and jojoba oil is pricey. Same with Vitamin e.
Honey is actually da bomb but just sucks cause its so sticky :(

Just keep cleaning your piercings twice a day, no more is needed.
For a healed piercing something like our holey butt'r or lush's cream would be more suitable. For now, you want to avoid anything that may clog pores. I wouldn't use either product on a fresh piercing.

The closest APP shop to you is: www.memberleap.com/members/directory/search_bootstrap.php?org_id=AOPP

Coyote Black
Mantis Tattoo and Piercing
6466 Route 30
Jeannette, PA 15644
Phone: 724-523-8287

APP just guarantee's cleanliness and hygiene standards. Still ask lots of questions like any piercer. :)

Kat

marissap98
Posted: 12/1/2017 6:26:56 PM     
Kat, i’ve just been using the most basic mouiaturizer! just washing them two times a day. my skin is still “growing” over the ball & it’s really starting to concern me. i plan to go to the piercing place sunday. i have work all day tomorrow :(

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 12/1/2017 6:41:10 PM     
@Marrissa A couple days will not make enough progress to make a negative difference unless its rejecting (you'd know).

I wouldn't stress for now. :) Out of sight out of mind.
My cheek piercings are about 4 months old now & have a different attitude almost daily! Bumps are constantly growing and falling off.
Just let your piercings chill, and try to keep your mind off of them until a piercer tells you to be concerned.
Right now, theres a good chance your bump is minor scarring that is caused by excessive collagen (a major hormone for skin and scar development).
Touching it & playing with it stimulats extra collagen.
There are 1000000 different kinds of piercing bumps so before you self-diagnose for treatment get professional opinions.

Climate can play a huge role on bumps too so they best thing you can do is go for that roadtrip sunday :)
I know in my climate bumps form when there is excessive moisture on the piercing, because the air is so dry!

You could also call ahead at shops too and ask to speak with a piercer, and describe everything to them. Anybody with quality service will be happy talking to you about your situation.

Kat

marissap98
Posted: 12/1/2017 8:14:28 PM     
okay!! i keep going back and forth like should i go or should i just wait it out! i feel like i would know if something was wrong, i’m not in any serious pain, just a litttl tender and soreness, but i have to remember that they’re still fresh piercing & that they’re going to take a while to heal!! i’m just going to (try) to forget about them and see how they do. it’s different everyday!

marissap98
Posted: 12/2/2017 2:32:00 AM     
okay!! i keep going back and forth like should i go or should i just wait it out! i feel like i would know if something was wrong, i’m not in any serious pain, just a litttl tender and soreness, but i have to remember that they’re still fresh piercing & that they’re going to take a while to heal!! i’m just going to (try) to forget about them and see how they do. it’s different everyday!

WEM Kiosk
Posted: 12/2/2017 9:22:17 AM     
Definitely only meant to put moisturizing things like that on the super dry spots, like the very front - and to avoid the piercings themselves!
I know with how dry and irritated my skin gets I generally can't wait until fully healed to use my Lush cream! I really stress not using a lot, though - like @Kat said, you don't want to clog your pores! I use wayyyy less than even a pea sized amount.

-Jess

marissap98
Posted: 12/2/2017 3:20:39 PM     
okay!! i’ll deff start using less, ever since i reduced how many times i wash them they haven’t been itchy! still dry but not itchy :)

Kat (Aberdeen)
Posted: 12/2/2017 6:26:38 PM     
If you need pin point precision cut a cut q-tip in 1/2 and use the inside part. :)

Edit: ALso itchy isn't bad. Like all wounds, it means its healing :)

marissap98
Posted: 12/9/2017 11:39:18 AM     
hey friends!! wait i actually feel like you guys are my best friends, helping me so much! but anyway, my nipples have been fine the past week or so. but today i went to clean them and the one side that’s been giving me all the problems was pretty much “sucked in” and being swallowed (the skin was looks like it’s eating the ball) and it started to bleed when i took my bra off. i just washed it and let it be. is that normal?? i’m freaking out about it helpppp!

WEM Kiosk
Posted: 12/9/2017 2:28:29 PM     
Woah babe! You poor thing :(

Go to a piercer ASAP. It sounds mega painful, and that's not at all what you want. Without seeing what's happening, I'd say you might have an infection or be having an allergic reaction to the metal?? Either way you need a longer and higher quality barbell -- I'm SO sorry you're experiencing all of this!

Also. I wouldn't recommend taking the bar out yourself, this can either damage the piercing further or trap bacteria in and make things worse -- Or both.

Keep us updated, lovely!

-Jess <3

marissap98
Posted: 12/9/2017 3:33:28 PM     
i got it changed to a longer bar like a week after it was pierced because my nipple swelled and was like eating my jewelry! it was horrible. i’m just going to try and go out there tomorrow (the snow is trapping me in) and get a different piercer to look at it! i just want to make sure whatever is wrong with it gets fixed! luckily my pain hasn’t been bad at all, but it’s still sore :(

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.