Forum Home  »  Hangin' Out  »  The Ups   »  NYC
NYC

Nina
Posted: 3/13/2017 2:09:24 PM     
I get to go to NYC in a couple weeks with my boyfriend! I'm so excited! It's my first time!
I would love some recommendations of things to see and do! I have a few tourist traps in mind, but I absolutely love hidden gems, so toss 'em at me!

We will be staying in Manhattan, so please no suggestions for queens/bronx/brooklyn.
Also, I"m a curvy plus size princess. So while I appreciate suggestions for clothing stores, please only ones that cater to larger body shapes?

Thanks all!

Leo (Southgate)
Posted: 3/13/2017 6:29:24 PM     
If shows / theater are your thing even in the slightness, there's a group that does improv shows ,,, but they sing! They have a pianist that just plays jaunty tunes and the performers make up songs as they go along, as well as tell stories and act but they're always funny and they're all so talented! We saw them when I was there with my schools drama department in November, and they're called the Rumpleteasers; they're a UCB group, and I'm sure there are lists for shows for their groups and stuff on their website.

As well, I'm not sure if this is a tourist trap or not but the High Line is so beautiful, it's a raised walkway above the streets and cuts through Chelsea and the Meat District.

Along the same lines, there's the Chelsea Market, and they don't actually allow tour / school groups in (we snuck in mwahaha) so it won't be overly crowded, but it's like an indoor strip mall with really really good restaurants, shops, bookstores, cafes, the whole deal! There isn't a lot of sapce to sit though, so if you're going for lunch/plan to grab food (and not go into and get seated at a restaurant), then you should browse first and eat second.

I hope you have a rockin' trip! Hope I could help :-)

Nina
Posted: 3/14/2017 9:24:35 AM     
Thanks Em! I love improv so that would definitely be something fun to do if they have a show while we're there! And I love shopping, so Chelsea market sounds great! :)

Nina
Posted: 3/15/2017 3:06:42 PM     
OMGGGGGGGGGGG Manic Panic Headquarters!!!!!! YAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Need to make it happen!

What other companies have headquarters in NYC??

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 3/16/2017 8:58:21 AM     
When my friends went they stopped at the 9/11 memorial and said it was so nice. So sad, but so nice.
Most of my New York to do list involves food. Sooo much food.

I'll ask my pal who lives in New York if he has any suggestions! Insider info is the best info haha

AmyLea [Southgate/HO]
Posted: 3/16/2017 10:10:19 AM     
Grit N Glory is a really cool female ran tattoo shop that also sells housewares and art prints - and clothing. I don't know about their size runs but they do have a lot of cool non-clothing stuff.

Pretty much all my other suggestions are in Brooklyn because I'm such a lame hipster haha jealous of your trip though! I went to NY when I was 17 and would love to go again now I'm old enough to actually enjoy the bars there.

Edit: I just have to say it though if you are in Brooklyn and get the chance hit up the House Of Wax bar & museum. A woman I used to work with co-owns it with her husband and its the coolest thing I have ever seen.

www.nytimes.com/2016/10/24/nyregion/brooklyn-bar-house-of-wax-alamo-drafthouse.html?_r=0

Raee (MM)
Posted: 3/16/2017 10:27:46 AM     
Lush has a SPA in NYC. www.lushusa.com/spa/

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 3/16/2017 1:57:45 PM     
From my NY friend...

For the best free view of the stature of liberty, take that staten island ferry out and come immediately back.

Unless you have something/ somewhere specific in mind, don't bother going above 59th st... unless it's to cruise Central Park

Big Gay Ice Cream is good/ kinda trendy but the lines aren't too bad there anymore.

The Highline for sure.

I'm apparently also supposed to hide in your luggage hahahaha

Katelyn (Sunridge)
Posted: 3/16/2017 5:23:07 PM     
I went to new york in 2012 with my food class, and beside getting sick and getting up at 7am everymorning and getting back to the hotel at like midnight, It was amazing!! I seen Phantom of the Opera and Wicked live. Wicked was my favorite by far. Walking times square was amazing, and all the shopping thats here (Like the M7M store <3) was killer! Cheap too!! We went to many restaurants, one of them, I couldn't remember what it was called, you got the choice of Making your own food (With chiefs assisting you of course) or having them make it in front of you. Chelsea market was amazing too! Defs worth walking through for sure if your a food junky like me. The Metropolitan museum was cool too! Really cool things in there.

Going to the Statue of liberty, Empire state building and the 9/11 site tho was the highlight of my trip. At the 9/11 memorial site I literally cried seeing all the names and everything. There were people etching over names with a paper and pencil, it really got to me, but it was beautiful. They weren't done the new building, but You could see them working on it. We got on a ferry to go see the statue of liberty. Sadly at the time tho they were doing construction on the island, so we couldn't go to the top of the statue and look out. The Empire state building topped it off. You could see everything, including the lights shining up from the Memorial site. They have the 5D ride or what whatever it was and the elevator up was ober fast. Defs worth checking out for sure!

Honestly, no matter what you do, your gonna be super impressed. New York is a amazing place for sure! I hope you have fun on your trip!!

Nina
Posted: 3/17/2017 8:43:34 AM     
Thanks gals so much for these suggestions! And keep them coming!

Part of my strategy is avoiding a lot of the typical tourist traps. That means no statue of liberty, no empire state building, and no 9/11 memorial. With the first two, they take a lot of time. Time to stand in line to get tickets, time to get to the attraction, time to get back to touring. For what I've seen in the movies so many times, I have no desire to see in real life. And the expense for some of these is ridiculous - $27 for the ESB observation deck!

Some things I have planned, based on your suggestions and my own ideas:

- Get soft-blocks (ballet pointe shoes without a shank, so they look pretty but i couldn't go on pointe in them) at the capezio store, or the bloch store if there is a bloch store.

- Use soft blocks to make pretty poses at the lincoln center fountain.

- Manic Panic store

- Highline and Chelsea Market

- Broadway show

- Off Broadway or improv show

- Grit N Glory sounds SO COOL!!! I wonder if they do piercings too.... hmmm....

- Big Gay Ice Cream! I've heard of that! It is now on the list!

- DO (pronounced dough) - they serve cookie dough as if it were ice cream!

- Ninja restaurant. Apparently ninjas are your servers and it's a whole experience.

My boyfriend lived in NYC in Manhattan (upper west side) for the last 8 years, so he knows the lay of the land and has a lot he wants to show me! So I'll be giving him my list of things I want to do and see, and he'll incorporate it into a master itinerary :)

Any food suggestions are welcome too! For like, actual meals too, because I feel like I'm going to be eating a lot of ice cream...

Orchard Park
Posted: 3/17/2017 10:13:53 AM     
That sounds so amazing Nina!!

I have never had a strong desire to visit new york,
but all of the sudden....

TheCentre
Posted: 3/18/2017 2:05:06 PM     
Totally understand wanting to avoid tourist traps, but I would still strongly recommend the 9/11 museum. It's absolutely amazing and really powerful.
Hell's kitchen is a cool spot to meet locals, especially in the pubs along there.
Walking the Brooklyn bridge offers gorgeous photo ops and a different perspective of the city. Plus there's an awesome ice cream parlor and delicious pizza shop a few blocks away. (totally blanking on their names) Depending on when you're going, battery park has a bunch of local shows on in the summer and is typically quieter than Central Park.
Since it sounds you enjoy art and music, pick at least one Broadway show to go see (Wicked is my favourite), and if you have time, the Met is breathtaking. Personally thought the Guggenheim wasn't worth the money or time, but the Met seriously captivated me.
Even just wandering the streets provides you with some seriously cool photo opportunities, and you'll find some of the most precious cafes and restaurants that way!

Hope you guys have an amazing time!
-Kaitlin

St. Vital (Winnipeg)
Posted: 3/18/2017 3:26:29 PM     
After waffling between the Met and MOMA I decided on the Met!
And definitely going to see a broadway show. Hello Dolly, Cirque du Soleil's Paramour, and Aladdin are tied for first choice. And something that hasn't been mentioned yet that I think is really cool is in Brooklyn Bridge Park there is a carousel that overlooks the river! Definitely need to make that happen!!!
Also hoping to get a piercing! How cool would that be to say I got a piercing in NYC?!!

- Nina

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:14:55 PM     
I was totally gonna suggest DO but wasn't sure if it was temporary or not. Chris said the lines there were insaaaane.

Please find and eat all of the good pizza.

St. Vital (Winnipeg)
Posted: 3/22/2017 8:44:09 AM     
DO - apparently it's in la guardia place, which is a good hour and fifteen minutes from manhattan proper. It would have been nice, but it's just so not worth the travel time.

Pizza - so Grimaldi's was always the most famous, but what most people don't know, is that there was a change in ownership about 10 years ago. And the owner opened up a new pizzeria just a few blocks away, Julianna's. And apparently Grimaldi's is over-hyped, and Julianna's has the really good pizza. My boyfriend is determined that Grimaldi's is better, so we're actually going to try both! I'll report back on which is *actually* better ;)

- nina

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 3/22/2017 12:24:58 PM     
That's the sort of test I can get fully behind. Pizza tests. :D

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.