Forum Home  »  Hangin' Out  »  The Downs   »  Body Image Struggles
Body Image Struggles

Olivia (Market Mall)
Posted: 7/1/2017 3:08:01 PM     
Hey all, I've recently been switched to an new medication that causes weight gain with use. I'm used to being very small and light, with my weight rarely changing due to exercising. However, since starting the medication I've been putting on weight regardless of diet and exercise. I've never really liked my body (due to mental health reasons and past trauma) but since the weight gain it's been even worse. So much so that old eating disorder habits are returning. I'm really not sure what to do next and it seems that everyone I talk to is unconcerned and unsympathetic saying "you're still tiny!" or "you aren't fat, I'M FAT. How could you even say something like that." it's invalidating which is a trigger for me so I've got 3 messes going on in my head at once. I feel lost and really low and losing hope. If anyone has any tips for healthy weight management or just anything that may help, I'd really appreciate it.

Kat (Aberdeen)
Posted: 7/1/2017 3:44:29 PM     
@olivia Take care of yourself first hun. <3 you've made a good decision in getting medical help even if its causing weight gain. Can your doctor suggest any other similar medications that won't cause a weight change?

Any diet and exercise should be done to just be healthy first, and loose weight secondly. remember, its not loosing 20 lbs but loosing 1 lbs 20 times! Listen to your body and feed it healthy foods with less salt for less water retention.

I've always been a smaller girl myself so I understand what you mean mentioning "diet" and being completely dismissed.
Personally, I believe people should diet for a lifestyle change, and not a weight change! listen to your body above all and do what makes you feel full of energy and healthy! screw what anyone else thinks of your "diet," you're the only person it'll effect. It might just be one of those things to keep to yourself too unfortunately.

Take care of yourself first and remember your body needs the proper energy and vitamins to heal your sickness, and to do the stuff you need to do on a daily basis. Without eating the right foods your only going to feel lazier, sicker, more bloated, etc. Love yourself first hun!

think of it as taking care of your temple more than a change in BMI. If you can at least, a little change on perceptive can go a long ways :)
I've always been a big "fake it till you make it" believer too. Even if its just a face for others, eventually you may fool yourself to be happier about your image :)

keep your head up, you're as beautiful as you've always been!
besides, its more cushion for the pushin' (sorry if this comment is inappropriate i'll happily take it down :P)

Olivia (Market Mall)
Posted: 7/1/2017 4:13:27 PM     
@Kat- Most of the medications for the condition I have all have the same side effects generally. Unless I were to switch to something with a higher potency. My doctor doesn't feel comfortable with that however, due tome being underage. The number on the scale truly isn't the issue, it's just the extra fat and body shape changes bc of that that is the real issue. I'm working on tracking calories but most sites and apps I've tried are giving me daily maximums of 1200 a day, which is very tough to realistically pull off. Battling myself and my own thoughts is gonna be the ultimate solution I think. Thank you for te kind words and advice lovely <3

WEM Kiosk
Posted: 7/2/2017 11:38:57 AM     
Everyone I know who has achieved significant but long term weigh loss, has been due to lifestyle changes and mindset about food. Many did start out with trying to get in better shape but their goals changed to feeling as healthy and strong as possible and that is when they got the most visible results. Whereas "dieting" doesn't last, and has you focusing only on the numbers (which will never be fulfilling) and not focusing on living your life to the fullest. Weight loss for physical appearance isn't something old people regret not doing, but getting out and really living your best life is. The healthiest people I know have a mindset about food being fuel and not a guilty pleasure/reward system. Eating to get your nutrients will help your body heal and also give you the energy you need to get active and be out enjoying life.
But in regards to trying to accept your body now, try to take some time daily to be grateful for the things your body does for you. I found this to be huge for my own body positivity, because I started to focus on it's function instead of just look but also I found things I love of my current body too. I also find that dressing in your favorite outfits to make your favorite features pop really helps boost my mood for the day.
-Megan

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.