Forum Home  »  Hangin' Out  »  Debates and Hot Topics   »  Bees and Veganism
Bees and Veganism

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 8/31/2017 1:25:51 PM     
I want to start saying I am not vegan, and I am not vegetarian.
I am a huge supporter of the Bee keeping industry and see it as crucial to keep the bees alive!
Vegans, what is your opinion on beeswax and honey?
Is bee keeping inhumane like other animal farming/biproducts?
If you support bees, why?

I don't think they can survive anymore without humanities help

-Kat

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 8/31/2017 1:33:26 PM     
I'm debating possibly getting a small hive next spring because lots of my garden plants weren't very well polinated this year due to lack of bees. I know you can get more humane hives where you don't have to disturb the bees to get honey. But this might have to be a pipe dream to wait till I have an acerage. Can keep on using a feather to polinate....

I'm no vegan or vegitarian but there are definitely more humane ways to go about it.

Orchard Park
Posted: 8/31/2017 1:44:42 PM     
My father in law is a bee keeper and I know that he loves his bees like his own children. I know not all bee keepers have that sort of attachment though :(

Orchard Park
Posted: 9/1/2017 4:20:02 PM     
Definatley depends on the beekeepers, generally if its a large corporation they care more about getting the most money rather than the well being of the bees. BUT there are good beekeepers out there who really care!
When it comes to consumption/use of bee made products, I think it's a very personal thing in that each vegan/vegetarian has their own stance on it. Vegetarians usually will eat honey and such because they still consume dairy and sometimes eggs even, just not meat itself. Vegans tend not to eat it because its considered an animal by product. Like I said though, everyone has their own opinion.
--Jess

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 9/2/2017 1:15:00 PM     
@Kat the bee keeping club in town loves new comers! Even if you aren't going to have a hive at home. They just love people coming out and learning about them and what they do.

They even have a little course to learn how to take care of a hive at home.

-Sara

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 9/3/2017 10:58:06 AM     
I'm mainly interested in a discussion, because bee products are so often overlooked as animal products! & the endangerment of the bees makes it more crucial to support them regardless IMO. Remember, pesky dandelions are a bees most common food!
I'm also very curious if any vegans do use bees wax and etc, and their thoughts on the industry, or why maybe they opt to boycott it too!
I found this article on "cruelty free" brands view on bee products. pandorasproducts.net/humane-beeswax/

There are some notes at our kiosk saying our tattoo goo has bees wax in it! From what I can find it has been removed, for its not on the back of the tattoo goo container nor is it on there website. www.tattoogoo.com/why-us/
Oh those sneaky buggers they describe it as cera flava, which is the scientific name for bees wax I guess. Almost makes it seem like its not in there!
also they have a bunch of cool articles to read here blog.tattoogoo.com/
blog.tattoogoo.com/blog/2017/2/23/is-your-tattoo-fading

cool DIY recipe I found thecrunchydelinquent.wordpress.com/tag/piercing/

-Kat

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.