Forum Home  »  Hangin' Out  »  The Ups   »  Japan
Japan

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 11/1/2017 5:13:57 PM     
There is a moderately good chance my bf and I are going to Japan over New Years. We have roughly 2 days to finish planning to confirm we are going, which includes a day by day guide on what we plan to do, especially everything that'll cost money.
HALP, we need more stuff to do there! Has anyone visited? What did you do? What was your favorite thing about Japan? If you could go what would you attend?
If anyone has visited, did you have any visible tattoos? How did the locals treat you being tattooed? Was there anything you couldn't do because you were tattooed?

We are hoping to tour most of the southern main Island.
So far we have studio Ghibli,
pokemon studio,
ramen shops,
temples,
deer of nara maybe,
monkey forest,
harajuku,
aquariums,
tokyo square,
hot springs (if they let tattooed people in),
maid cafes,
mount fuji,
and im probably missing a couple things

-Kat

Kat (Aberdeen)
Posted: 11/1/2017 7:39:43 PM     
We're only going to Tokyo and Kyoto actually! :3

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 11/2/2017 8:54:47 AM     
I'm sure there is probably some massive Sanrio Hello Kitty thing. Perhaps checking out a kimono shop? Would be an interresting experience. A museum could be pretty awesome too.

I know there is a very famous castle you should check out as well but currently the name isn't coming to mind.

And you won't be allowed into the hot springs or bath houses with tattoos.

Also bring toilet paper with you/buy some when you get there. Their toilets will be a bit of a culture shock. There are some places with westernized styles but a lot of places without and a lot of places where you have to pay for toilet paper.

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 11/2/2017 11:35:44 AM     
Is it the Emperial castle?
I can't forget the hello kitty thing! I cant remember if its a shop or cafe either xD
I want to find a daiso too.
According to my bf's uncle who used to live in Japan some springs allow for tattooed tourists, but I'm still gonna call ahead :P

I Didn't even think of the toilets. Thats gonna be an uncomfortable experience...
I can't use chopsticks either so I'm thinking about packing a personal fork and knife everywhere lmao

Kat

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 11/2/2017 12:01:20 PM     
Yes some disposable cutlery packs would be a great idea. OR! you could get well practiced before you go with chopsticks.

I don't think so, it has a japanese name so I can't remember it.

Definitely call ahead because finding one that will ahve tatooed tourists is rare.

Yes most people forget about the toilets.

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 11/2/2017 12:04:09 PM     
Ive had like a dozen people try and teach me how to chopstick.
Its just not possible.... D:
I'll just have my personal set of shame

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 11/2/2017 12:39:34 PM     
I feel like it's in Okinawa? Or Osaka or something.... I'm totally blanking on this castle.

May Fair Ladies
Posted: 11/2/2017 2:03:21 PM     
If you have tattoos, good luck getting into hot springs. There are a few, slightly more open minded places who will provide you with a bandage to cover them if they are not too big. I would still call ahead and make sure that they allow covered tattoos.

-Evie

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 11/2/2017 2:17:40 PM     
We might be visiting Nijo Castle in Kyoto. Kyoto seems to have the most historical stuff!
Unfortunately a lot of the temples are closed for a week after new years.

Also, New years is such a huge celebration there that most things including ATMs are shut down between Jan 1 to 3rd! :o

Unfortunately all of my tattoos would be too hard to cover for a hot spring... xP

Kat

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 11/2/2017 2:23:46 PM     
The Osaka Castle was the one I was talking about, but the Nijo would be good too! Any castle would be good really. Yes new years is HUGE over there! You so have to take part in some of the festival activities going on at that time!

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 11/2/2017 2:40:19 PM     
I don't think we're going to Osaka, tbh I have doubts either castle is open. :(
Osaka castle isn't terribly far from Kyoto, its worth checking train tickets!

We cant decide if we want to go to Tokyo or Kyoto first for New Years.
I kinda want to spend it in Tokyo Square but people..

I also kinda want to go to a shrine on new years like a super cute stereotypical shoujo date and hang the new years charms and ring bells :o

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.