Forum Home  »  Piercing  »  Questions & Answers   »  Naval keloid?
Naval keloid?

kinimbus
Posted: 12/9/2017 9:52:43 PM     
Hi guys

Ive been having a bump near my upper naval piercing for like a month now. I got my piercing done in August. It’s not healing either. The bump is reddish pink and it is spongy. Quite painful when i press it with a q-tip. It was always the same size but yesterday it grew a little bigger. Is it a hypertropic scar or a keloid?how do i get rid of it soon?

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 12/10/2017 12:09:35 PM     
Most likely an irritation bump they are pretty common with new piercings. Some tea tree oil could give it some help healing. Best to not poke at it, be as gentle as possible while clearning it, make sure you use a sterile sea salt solution to clean it. A wound wash from a drug store would be perfect. Do not mix the solution yourself as its not sterile. Finding a piercer with titanium jewelry they can put in for you instead could also help it heal up if it's irritated from the metal quality. Check out the website for association of Professional Piercers to find someone near you if you aren't near a CULTure or Culture Craze location to find some titanium. This should help you out and get that navel healed!

May Fair Ladies
Posted: 12/10/2017 2:56:54 PM     
I wouldn't go with tea tree oil on an unhealed piercing. Tea tree also doesn't work for everyone so if you ever decide to try it later on (after it's healed and only if you think you need it) just apply a little bit to a different patch of skin to make sure it doesn't irritate you before applying it to the piercing area. It just sounds like hypertrophic scar tissue from irritation which is super common and nothing to stress about. :)
A good trick for navel piercings is to buy one of those hard eye patches from the pharmacy and use it to cover your belly button while you sleep or are doing anything active. This will keep it from getting rubbed or tugged on (which is most likely what is making it angry). Also, just keep up with your regular aftercare (sterile wound wash twice per day, as Brittany said, is definitely the way to go) and do your best not to touch it because that will only make it more irritated. Leaving it alone is the best thing you can do.
Anyway, sorry for this novel of a response hahaha. I hope it helps! :)

-Lindsay

St. Vital (Winnipeg)
Posted: 12/11/2017 7:09:35 AM     
A small bump? No biggie. But one that grows? and is painful to the touch? that's not good.....
Go to a piercer. preferably app-certified, but if that's not accessible for you, any piercer. This is one case where an army of internet pros will not be able to diagnose an in-person condition.

- Nina

May Fair Ladies
Posted: 12/11/2017 3:29:04 PM     
I agree with Nina! If it is getting bigger and painful like that, best to go in to see a pro.

-Evie

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 12/12/2017 7:59:42 PM     
Go see a piercer.
Keep you fingers off of it, & keep it clean & dry for now. Bumps can come from 289356 different places like moisture, agitation, poor jewelry quality/size, and a bunch of others.
Every detail of the situation plays a part so only a professional can properly assess in person.

You can find an APP member near you here: www.memberleap.com/members/directory/search_bootstrap.php?org_id=AOPP

Also, there is a very strong chance its not a keloid.
Keloids are usually (not always) genetic condition where scar tissue will not stop growing. Keloids can even get their own blood supply, and usually need surgery for removal.
Darker skin types are more prone to them, but everybody can get them.
Until a doctor/dermatologist/piercer tells you its a keloid, call it a piercing bump. Can't go wrong with that :)

Keloid info: www.medicinenet.com/keloid/article.htm

-Kat

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.