Forum Home  »  Tattooing  »  Questions & Answers   »  Numbing Cream
Numbing Cream

Chantelle Martin
Posted: 1/7/2013 6:00:46 PM     
I can admit I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to pain. But I have gone through 2 pretty good sized tattoos without a single tear drop shed. When I walked into the shop I go to for all my mods I saw a case with Dr.Numb Cream in it and it got me thinking. I am planning a half sleeve within the next couple years and I have heard that the inside of the arm is one of the most painful spots so I am terrified. My thoughts are that if I am paying large amounts of money to get a tattoo done why not spend a little more and have it be painless?

Has anyone tried the numbing cream or have any bad stories about it?? Im still on the fence about using it or not.

Hannibal.
Posted: 1/8/2013 8:58:12 AM     
where did you get your two other pieces done?
ive heard good and bad about the numbing cream some say it was god sent but others said their color didnt come out as vibrant as they would have hoped it to be and had to go for touch ups to get the color right

Payton ^_^
Posted: 1/8/2013 10:23:33 AM     
I've talked to my tattoo artist about numbing cream and he said its a waste of money. He told me it does numb the skin but it isnt a long lasting numbing gel and more often then not wears off before your tattoo is even finished and he recommends not using it. Ive had friends who got the inside of their arms done and its not any worse then any other body part. it may be a bit more sensitive but if you can sit through tattoos anywhere else the inside of the arm wont be any different. He also said it doesnt make it completely painless because it only numbs the top layer of skin... the needle goes deeper than what it can numb. but if you want to spend the money you could try it and see for yourself. personally i find tattoos expensive enough as is and id rather save a couple bucks and deal with the pain lol

Hannibal.
Posted: 1/8/2013 11:02:03 AM     
i think numbing cream be best for piercings

Payton ^_^
Posted: 1/8/2013 11:02:43 AM     
JUST MAN UP AND TAKE THE PAIN. LIKE A MAN. LOL

Chantelle Martin
Posted: 1/8/2013 4:42:38 PM     
Yeah thats the other side of the fence. I wanna man up and take the pain. But my nickname is wimpy bear cuz I suck getting body mods... it's pretty bad.

Chantelle Martin
Posted: 1/8/2013 4:47:35 PM     
I get them done at Ghost Town Tattoo in Okotoks, AB. The boys there all laugh at me when I get anything done.

-
Posted: 1/13/2013 10:34:37 AM     
Not sure if this helps, but I have my inner forearm done and for the most part it didn't hurt at all. The only parts that did were right where my wrist meets my hand (ouch), and on the pit of my elbow (holy mother of Zeus please stop this right now).

Numbing cream, so I have heard, does not do much. Mostly a waste of money when it comes to tattoos.

Sinister Sam Storey
Posted: 2/13/2013 9:10:30 PM     
I am a tattoo artist and can tell you numbing creams DO WORK.
They unfortunately only last a couple of hours and have to be applied properly.

I'm normally a huge fan of clients just toughing it out and doing the tattoo sans numb cream (as numbing cream can make skin DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH which can and sometimes does affect the quality of your tattoo) just because it kind o goes with the industry. If you aren't tough enough to get a tattoo, DONT GET ONE.

Having said that, I hav several tattoos, all of which were fine pain-wise. they hurt, but it was manageable. My foot on the other hand.... excruciating pain and after about 15 minutes my foot AND entire leg will twitch and spasm whether I like it or not. I now have a half finished foot tattoo and to finish it, I'm going to use some Dr Numb.

It can be very useful in cases such as this ^__^

Especially if you aren't the kind of person to just resort to hard drugs to deal with the pain while getting your tattoo.

Sirenomelia
Posted: 2/15/2013 11:31:15 AM     
Personally I think if you can't handle the pain, you shouldn't get tattooed period. Tattoos should be a badge of honor. Also, for piercing anyway, anything that would work is illegal for us to give out because it would be considered dispensing medication without a license. Further more I wouldn't want to be liable for someone having a reaction to any type of numbing agent.

Tanisha :3
Posted: 2/15/2013 11:42:19 AM     
I completely agree with the if you cant handle it dont get it. but unfortantly i have been thinking about it. i have gotten both feet,thighs and my arm done. and i started my ribs tried to push threw it but after 3 hours my body couldnt take it. id just like to finish my out line is all. so i been thinking about it :/

Valerius
Posted: 5/11/2015 3:11:14 PM     
Yeah, I have used it for both piercings and tattoo sessions. Numbing cream worked fine for both different things, I think it worked best for piercings because I applied it in a timely manner (and you gotta saran wrap the area for length of time before hand). I think doctor numb might be the generic brand of topical numbing creams. but I use this anesthesia numbing cream called bioevolve. I think, however, it works best for flesh and the bone is a still painful area but not to the extent of the excruciating pain if I hadn't used the cream.

kurbatskiy
Posted: 12/21/2015 6:47:28 AM     
You know, really there is such cream and it helps from pain. But not so helps as it would be desirable. So it isn't sure that it costs money
tattoo-journal.com/

CULTure (Woodgrove)
Posted: 12/21/2015 1:51:42 PM     
As a piercer, I would have to say that numbing cream is horrible on piercings. One of my client's parent had put numbing cream on her lobes just before I pierced her and did not tell me at all. I was furious by the time I was finished the piercing.

Numbing cream constricts the blood vessels making the tissue harder to pierce. It's like piercing through frozen meat. Instead of making a simple incision through the tissue, you end up tearing through tissue. Once the numbing cream wears off , it's a much greater pain sensation that lasts longer from the trauma of tearing through tissue. Without numbing cream, most client's don't feel any pain or soreness within minutes of the piercing.

So if you are going to use it for piercings, don't. It's a terrible idea.

Word is bond,
Ryan

renewright
Posted: 3/30/2018 7:32:18 AM     
The use of a tattoo numbing cream is totally fine. If you can't handle the pain then don't let it stop you from having one. You can check this site for a list of helpful products. www.inkdoneright.com/tattoo-numbing-cream/

Aberdeen Kamloops
Posted: 3/31/2018 9:37:18 AM     
www.sinonskin.co.uk/numbing-cream-1.html

Everything I've heard about numbing cream for piercings is pretty bad. I can't find too much from APP perspective! Listen to Ryan, the pain is over before you know it!

@Renewright

When I was having my thigh tattooed I got a severe case of angry skin. My tattoo artist put Nothing on it to help numb it for the final end stretch and it helped me significantly!

h2ocean.com/tattoo-aftercare/nothing-pain-relieving-soap/

-Kat

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.