Forum Home  »  Piercing  »  Questions & Answers   »  Shaped Plugs
Shaped Plugs

EmmaLoo (Southcentre)
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:24:55 AM     
So we carry a lot of shaped jewelry (triangles, teardrops, squares etc.)
Lately I've had loads of customers say that they're really horrible for your ears...
I wear teardrop and triangle shaped plugs and have never run into a problem, but it could be because I change my jewelry on a fairly regular basis.
Anyone have more insight?

Cornwall Centre
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:37:10 AM     
I personally don't like them for myself cause I did run into a problem with them, teardrops is fine for me but square did hurt my ears. Lots of people don't have problems do I think it depends.
-Zoë

Shayson_perry
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:38:37 AM     
customers here (Grande Prairie) have been telling me that too lately...i usually wore tear drop or tirangles but changed em out before bed or when i got home. When i talked to Monique the piercest at CULTure, she said its because the shapes are different measurments in mm around the tunnel, plug what have you....i beleive that what she said. hope that helps hun. :)

SlimJim (Park Place)
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:39:52 AM     
I did a bit of research a while ago and here's what I managed to find:

The general consensus is that teardrop plugs cause little to no issue. Shapes such as squares and especially triangles can cause weakening and thinning of the areas on the inside of the ear where the corners sit (the fewer and sharper the corners, the higher the risk). It's because it causes an uneven distribution of pressure in the inner circumference of the ear.

NOW! That being said, these complications only happen after wearing shaped plugs for loooong durations, and the only documented cases of people damaging their ears with them were people who tried to stretch up with them, wore them in lobes that were not fully healed, wore them for days at a time without removing, or had an allergic reaction to the material (for some odd reason, people who react to silicone react even more so with shaped silicone tunnels). The thinning also seemed to be more noticeable in sizes smaller than a half inch. I think this has to do with surface area again.

So in short, yes they are perfectly safe, just as long as certain extra precautions are taken. namely only wearing them a day or two at a time. Hope that helped :)

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:41:31 AM     
Lauren, the other girl that works here, wears the silicone triangle ones and doesn't seem to have a problem. She changes them up often, though, as well. I remember hearing/reading somewhere that they aren't good for long periods of time because the weight and areas stretched aren't equally distributed. Not sure how much truth is in that sentence though!

Edit: AKA, it was said better above me hahah

EmmaLoo (Southcentre)
Posted: 7/28/2013 11:58:04 AM     
Haha thanks guys! I've been telling people that I wear them and don't have a problem and that they probably shouldn't be worn for long periods.
@SlimJim thank you sooo much, now I can let them know that :3

SlimJim (Park Place)
Posted: 7/28/2013 12:05:14 PM     
Anytime! :)

Sarah (Central City)
Posted: 8/3/2013 1:25:34 PM     
Good to know! I had no idea that this could be a problem but it makes perfect sense. If I could get anything double flared into my ears I'd probably know more, lol.

Here's another thing, with double flared jewelry, is it possible to leave them in too long and have to rip them out of your ears? They scare me for that reason alone. I've had a couple customers come up to me with that problem :( Is there a certain maximum amount of time you should never go past when wearing these?

michaela (st. v)
Posted: 8/3/2013 1:32:41 PM     
@Sarah play with them! That way, your ear doesn't tighten up too much but isn't so loose that they fly out all the time.

Alyshia (Aberdeen)
Posted: 8/3/2013 1:36:52 PM     
What Michaela said! My ears hated stretching and don't take double flare well. I can actually only get them in when I've been wearing my single flare s/s tunnels for a few days (Which is weird...) I have to fiddle with them to make sure my ear doesn't tighten up too much so I can remove them still!

Morticiaamor
Posted: 8/3/2013 1:50:47 PM     

SlimJim (Park Place)
Posted: 8/3/2013 1:52:05 PM     
My gf is having this same issue. She's at 00g right now and has been for a while, but can't get any of her double flared jewelry in. Even the little flares. I've never had this issue so I dunno what to tell her D: I just keep saying wait a week and wear heavier plugs, then try again. I think it might have to do with size, because I have to order custom plugs with huge flares just to keep mine in!

Sarah (Central City)
Posted: 8/3/2013 2:35:25 PM     
Interesting! I wish I could get the double flares in but they won't even get close to going in. I LOVE stone plugs, and most of ours are double flared. I also avoid O rings when I can, not a fan of them for no particular reason. *sigh* I guess machine heads will have to suffice! I was going to try putting in a 0g double flare that I have (I'm 00g) but I don't want my ears to shrink and I don't even know if they'll stay in, if I even manage to get them in! :(

RooinVOX418
Posted: 1/25/2018 8:15:31 AM     
My little brother got me a pair of heart shaped pink lace agates for Christmas and I love them. That being said - after a few days in my ears, the bottoms of my lobes where the corner sits started to become sore and inflamed. I guess the moral of the story is to only wear them for short periods of time. :'(

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.