Forum Home  »  Piercing  »  Questions & Answers   »  Nose Piercing
Nose Piercing

hannag
Posted: 7/27/2011 12:40:52 PM     
I had my nose pierced almost three months ago and it still hasn't healed. If I forget to clean even once it gets infected right away. How long will it take to heal up completely? Could I be sensitive to the steel post that I have in now? Thanks!

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 7/27/2011 12:55:54 PM     
It is a 6-12 month heal time for a nostril piercing. So I'm afraid you still have quite a bit of time to go before its going to be all healed up. Everyone's body is different and takes different amounts of time to heal.

Can you tell me what happens when it gets infected? Does it have a white discharge? Does it get a bit of a bump?

I'm not sure if its the metal that's causing issues but we can figure it out! Is it surgical steel? Or maybe titanium? If your not sure I would recommend giving your piercer a call to see what kind they use. :D

Parkland Store
Posted: 7/27/2011 1:01:07 PM     
I'll add one more question: Have you been changing the jewelry?

Bunneh (Midtown)
Posted: 7/27/2011 1:12:38 PM     
That's a good question to add! :D

Vookoo
Posted: 8/13/2011 12:07:50 PM     
Hey, when I pierce a nose, the average heal time is 6-8 weeks. Superficially the skin heals decently quick, but it's the hard material in your nose that sets piercings back, because when pierced it softens and takes longer to reharden, making any jewellery changes extremely difficult and the piercing very susceptible to irritation. Noses are very prone to getting bumps on them if not 'aftercared' properly, what are you using to clean the piercing?

As far as the metal post goes, if it's implant grade surgical steel it's incredibly rare to have issues with, and noses are typically pretty easy going with most metals, so that shouldn't be an issue as long as it's good quality.

What sort of reaction are you experiencing when the nose gets irritated?

Elyssa (Centre)
Posted: 2/7/2014 9:47:28 AM     
Okay so i'm getting my nose pierced today and in the past, all of the piercings I have had aside from lobes have all had bumps on them (conch, belly, tragus) I don't want my nose to get a bump because obviously it is on my face.

So what is the best best way to take care of a nose piercing? I usually make my salt water solution 1/4 of sea salt to 8 oz of boiled water. I like h2ocean but it can get expensive and I find I have to buy it every few days. How many times a day should I clean it? I put the mixture of salt water in a spray bottle and spray it on, how much should I use? how long should I spray it? should I clean it with a q-tip soaked in salt water after? should I rinse the salt water off? so many questions! haha I just want to get it perfect and I'm not going to change it for ass long as possible, hopefully it doesn't fall out!

CULTure (Woodgrove)
Posted: 2/7/2014 11:15:22 AM     
Hi Elyssa,

I suggest using the H2Ocean Derma spray because it's just sterile saline in a pressurized can. You can find other sterile saline sprays in drugstores, they're usually called wound wash. Your spray should last you a while, mine lasted a month when I got my both my nostrils pierced. Why are you buying H2Ocean every few days? Cleaning once a day is sufficient, any more than this can lead to irritation. Spray the pierced area, it's not necessary to drench it. Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse off completely with warm water. I usually spray on a few minutes before a shower, that way it's completely rinsed off. Only use a qtip with warm saline if there is a build up of crust around the piercing. 3-9 months of healing time. Only get pierced with with implant grade jewelry (know what you are putting in your body especially if you are prone to getting bumps). And one thing I cannot stress enough to my clients is "DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PIERCING" at all. Just try avoiding it at all times. I hope this helps.

Ryan

Elyssa (Centre)
Posted: 2/7/2014 11:52:01 AM     
I guess when I was using H2Ocean I was using too much. Thanks for all the info! Helps a lot!

Amy9
Posted: 7/13/2018 12:41:30 PM     
how old do you have to be to get a nose piercing

Orchard Park
Posted: 7/13/2018 12:54:56 PM     
Different shops will have different regulations, but for the most part you can start getting standard piercings at 14 with parental consent or 16 without it. You can always call your piercing local shop and ask. Hope that helps!

-Emmette

St. Vital (Winnipeg)
Posted: 7/13/2018 2:47:06 PM     
Manitoba is 18 without parental consent.

To reply to this post, please sign-inor registerfor an account.